This item has been filed in | Briefly Noted, Honors, News
Print This Post Print This Post

UM student publications win national awards

For the fourth time, the University of Miami’s Ibis Yearbook has been awarded the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) Pacemaker.  The announcement was made at the Associated Collegiate Press/College Media Advisors (CMA) National College Media Convention in Louisville, Kentucky, held last month.

The Ibis Yearbook staff also received eight top-five individual awards in the CMA’s best of design student competition, and UM Professor Randy Stano was named distinguished four-year college/university yearbook adviser of the year by CMA.

UM’s Distraction magazine also won several individual awards from the ACP, CMA, and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.

List of individual awards:

• Leah Adams Ibis Yearbook – 1st place for best Organizations spread
  • Courtney O’Connell and Chris Rackliffe, Ibis Yearbook – 1st place in Academics spread
  • Jacqui O’Donnell Ibis Yearbook – 2nd place for Organizations spread; 3rd place for best Individual spread
  • Courtney O’Connell, Ibis Yearbook – 2nd place for Academics spread; 3rd place for Division page; 4th place for best cover; Honorable mentions for best Illustration
  • Emma Cason-Pratt, Ibis Yearbook – 5th place for best informational graphic
  • Ashley Torres, Distraction – 1st place in Non-Fiction: Column for Magazine
  • Claudia Aguirre, Dena Giannini, and Jessica Hodder, Distraction – 1st place in Informational graphics: Black and white for magazines
  • Alexandra Leon and Kiersten Schmidt, Distraction – 1st place in Informational graphics: Color for magazines
  • Sarah Bromley, Dena Giannini, and Zach Woodward, Distraction – 2nd place in Page design: Special or general interest magazine Portfolio for magazines
  • Tiffany Agam, Ken Garcia, and Hilary Saunders, Distraction – 2nd place in Table of Contents for Magazines
  • Dena Giannini, Stephanie Wehrung, and Zach Woodward, Distraction – 3rd place in page design: Special or general interest magazine multi-page presentation for Magazines
  • Tiffany Agam, Zack Billings, and Morgan Visalli, Distraction – 3rd place in page design: Special or general interest magazine single spread presentation for magazines
  • Claudia Aguirre, Mathew Rosen & Danielle Ungermann, Distraction – 3rd place in Page design: Special or general interest magazine single page design for magazines
  • Mathew Rosen, Distraction – 3rd place in Cartoon for Magazines
  • Stacey Coon, Distraction – 4th place in Contents page/spread for magazines.
  • Andres Concepcion, Distraction – Certificate of Merit in Non-Fiction: Article for magazines
  • Christopher Hardgrove, Distraction – Certificate of Merit in Typography: On one page or spread magazines
  • Stephanie Wehrung, Distraction – Certificate of Merit in Typography: Use of ofa designed or art headline for magazines
  • Claudia Aguirre, Distraction – Certificate of Merit in page design: Special or general interest magazine portfolio
  • Christopher Hardgrove, Distraction – Certificate of Merit in page design: Special or general interest magazine single page design for Magazines
  • Lisel Holzapfel, Distraction – Certificate of Merit in Non-Fiction: Interview for magazines
  • Kenneth Garcia, Distraction – Honorable mention in house ad

ACP, CMA and CBI offer a comprehensive convention program for college and university journalists — print, online and broadcast — and their advisers from public and private, four-year and two-year colleges and universities and professional, technical and graduate schools in the United States, Canada, and other countries. It is the largest convention of its kind in the world. Since their inception in 1927, ACP’s Pacemaker awards for general excellence have become the most prestigious awards given to student media.

Share this Listing:
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • del.icio.us
  • Google Bookmarks
  • NewsVine
  • Digg