This item has been filed in | Events, News
Print This Post Print This Post

Herbert Wellness Center Gears Up for 20th Anniversary Celebration

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...Loading...
    WellnessCenter20th

The staff of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is gearing up for the center’s 20th Anniversary Celebration, which kicks off September 22 with “UM’s Largest Yoga Class.”

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (August 11, 2015)—The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, which has defined wellness for the University of Miami community since opening its doors in 1996, will celebrate its anniversary with several special events and programs over the next six months, beginning with “UM’s Largest Yoga Class” on Tuesday, September 22 and culminating with its “20th Anniversary Celebration” on February 2. To learn about all of the special events taking place throughout the year, visit miami.edu/wellness.

The idea of a wellness center at UM originated with Norm Parsons, former executive director of the Herbert Wellness Center. Parsons “had a great vision about the future, wanting to construct new facilities,” William R. Butler, vice president for student affairs emeritus, told the Miami Hurricane student newspaper. A student body referendum, three different names, an $8 million donation, and a 20,000-square-foot expansion are all part of the Herbert Wellness Center’s history, which is chronicled on its website.

“Celebrating this milestone gives us a chance to reflect on and learn from the past 20 years of promoting wellness and recreation to the UM community,” says Scott Levin, executive director for the Department of Wellness and Recreation. “We appreciate the continued support from our students and members and urge them to take advantage of all the programs and services we have to offer.”

The Herbert Wellness Center offers a variety of group classes open to both members and non-members, including instructional classes in dance, martial arts, tennis, and youth and adult aquatics, cooking, meditation, and reformer Pilates. Fall registration for all classes begins Monday, August 24. For more information, visit miami.edu/wellness.