Special to UM News
MIAMI, Fla. (March 3, 2017)—A select group of graduate students at the Miller School of Medicine had the opportunity last week to highlight their efforts to tackle some of the world’s most pressing and complex public health problems.
The 46 students took part in the 2017 Annual Public Health Graduate Student Showcase and Reception, held at the Don Soffer Clinical Research Center. It was the fifth year for the event, which provides a stage for the students to display posters that represent highlights from their field experiences, capstone projects, and thesis projects.
The participating students were this year’s recipients of the prestigious Springboard, Global Health Scholar, Public Health Travel, and Miami, Israel, Science and Health (MISH) Fellowship awards, and nominees from the Department of Public Health Sciences. The students are part of the Public Health Department’s M.D./M.P.H., M.S.P.H, and M.P.H. programs.
Winners were selected from each category based on content, methodology, and oral presentation.
The winners are:
- Global Health Scholar Award— Sarah Simko, M.D./M.P.H. Class of 2019
- Project: Community Analysis and Patient Education in Bocas del Toro, Panama
- Advisor: Nick Cuttriss, M.D., M.P.H.
- MISH Award— Nadia Abouhana, M.P.H. Class of 2017
- Project: Raising Awareness About Women’s Heart Disease in Israel
- Advisor: Tatiana Perrino, Psy.D.
- Public Health Travel Award— Xeniamaria Rodriguez, M.S.P.H. Class of 2017
- Project: Assessing Perceptions of Healthcare Professionals on the Warning Signs Associated with Dengue in Pediatric Hospitals in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Advisor: Viviana Horigian, M.D.
- Springboard Award — Karyn Meshbane, M.D./M.P.H. Class of 2017
- Project: Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practice Toward Long-Acting Reversible Contraception Among Women Experiencing Homelessness
- Advisor: Erin Kobetz, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Department of Public Health Sciences Special Recognition:
- Layla Bouzoubaa, M.S.P.H. Class of 2017
- Aliyah Gauri, M.S.P.H. Class of 2016
- Vivek Singh, M.S.P.H. Class of 2016
- Roxanne Williams, M.P.H. Class of 2016