CORAL GABLES, Fla. (May 12, 2016) — As another academic year comes to a close, the Division of Student Affairs held their 18th annual Laurel Awards celebration that recognized outstanding Student Affairs departments, staff members, students, and initiatives. Exceptional nominations were submitted and showcased the hard work, innovation, and selfless work ethic found throughout the Division of Student Affairs.
Within each category, the award recipients are as follows:
- Outstanding Department Initiative – Student Affairs: Herbert Wellness Center 20th Anniversary Campaign & Celebration
- Outstanding Department Initiative – Non-Student Affairs: ’Canes Summit for Leadership, Diversity, and Social Changes; a collaborative program between Multicultural Student Affairs and the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development.
- Outstanding Job Performance: Michael Baumhardt, Associate Director of Student Activities and Student Organizations
- Outstanding New Employee – Professional Staff: Aysha Daniels, Director of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement
- Outstanding New Employee – Support Staff: Nicole Sanchez, Administrative Assistant in the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
- Exceptional Work with Students – Support Staff: Nancy Del Pozzo, Senior Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Students and Office Manager
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student Staff: Daniel Gomez, LGBTQ Student Coordinator in the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development
- Outstanding Graduate Student Staff: Rachel Ensing, Graduate Assistant of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement
- Unsung Hero Award: Joe Lortie, Chaplain for University Christian Fellowship
In addition to the award categories, the Division of Student Affairs recognized retirements and long-term service to the University.
- Daniel Westbrook, Executive Director of the Student Center Complex
- Carolyn Eberhardt, Psychologist in the Counseling Center
- Gloria Cooper, Customer Service Representative in the Student Center Complex
- Dayle Wilson, Assistant Dean of Students
- Aruna Airan, Budget Manager in the Student Center Complex
- James Burgess, Senior Maintenance Mechanic in the Herbert Wellness Center
- Dan Westbrook, Executive Director of the Student Center Complex
- Jon Baldessari, Director of Housing Operations and Facilities in Housing and Residential Life
- Sonia Minoletti, Medical Technologist, Student Health Services
- Linda Walker, Manager of Business Operations, Student Health Services
- Nicole Abramson, Assistant Dean of Students
- Maria Acosta, Office Supervisor in Housing and Residential Life
- Nancy Del Pozzo, Senior Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Students and Office Manager
- Ricardo Hall, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Samuel Garde, Senior Maintenance Mechanic, Herbert Wellness Center
- Indira Obregon, Senior Patient Access Representative, Student Health Services
- Ernesto Ruiz, Manager of Application Systems Development in Student Affairs Information Systems
- Tom Soria, Assistant Director of Intramurals and Special Events at the Herbert Wellness Center
A listing of recipients from past years can be found at http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/student_affairs/laurel_awards/past_recipients/.