Everyone in the UM community and beyond is invited to Bike the Underline on Saturday, March 21, when three MetroRail stations will be abuzz with activity—including free UHealth health screenings, performances by Frost School of Music students, free yoga and Zumba classes, guided bike tours, art exhibits, food, refreshments, and much more—all aimed at attracting and engaging cyclists along the 10-mile paved path under the Metrorail line.
Taking place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Brickell, University, and South Miami MetroRail stations, the inaugural Bike the Underline celebration is part of Miami-Dade County’s Bike305 initiative, which began in 2013 with the designation of every March as Bike305 month. New this year, Bike the Underline will introduce residents to the dreams and plans to transform the underutilized stretch of pavement under the Metrorail into one of South Florida’s most iconic transportation corridors and linear parks.
To promote that vision and encourage residents to leave their cars and get on their bikes for exercise, transportation, and recreation, the following activities will take place at the following stations:
– Performances by the UM Frost School of Music’s Frost Horn Quartet, Classical Flute Duet, BLT Woodwind Trio, and Giroux/Udall Jazz Duo from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; art exhibit by seniors
– Free yoga classes
– Water station
– Free health risk screenings, including BMI (Body Mass Index), blood pressure, cholesterol, VO2Max and more, courtesy of the UHealthAware Team and the UM Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center
– Bike rodeo for kids to teach safe-cycling skills
– Free helmets for children
– Free water bottles, gags, and other giveaways
– Guided bike tour to the Coral Gables Museum for the ArtCycle/Underline exhibit
– Water station
South Miami Station:
– Free yoga and Zumba classes
– Free bike checks courtesy of Mack Cycle & Fitness
– Giveaways by Footworks
– Food trucks
– Bake sale with donations to South Miami Neighborhood Association
– Entertainment by John Martin’s entertainer Paddy Kelligan
– Free health checks courtesy of South Miami Hospital
– Guided bike tour of the Ludlam Trail
In addition to the three activated stations, there will be plenty of activity at the spit of land adjacent to U.S. 1 and Kendall Drive, where Project Dadeland will welcome Bike the Underline participants to plant and mulch the area and, over time, watch their labors blossom into a future park. All materials will be provided by Project Dadeland.
For more information, visit Bike305.